Drone Labels Now Required With New FAA Registration Rules
by MaverickLabel.com | December 21, 2015
The FAA is cracking down on drones. With 2015 sales estimated to reach 1.6 million for small-unmanned aircraft (aka drones), including approximately 50 percent of that total in the fourth quarter, the FAA is now requiring all drones to be registered and labeled prior to operation as of December 21, 2015.
The goal is simple.
This rapid influx of drones will increase the number of owners who are new to the rules and safety requirements for operating in the National Airspace System (NAS). By requiring registration, the FAA and DOT insist that not only will it provide a way to identify drones in the event of an accident but also provide the agency with a direct opportunity to educate drone owners on safety requirements before they begin flying in the NAS.
So, what does this mean for you?
Detailed in a 200+ page document released by the FAA, if you have a drone under the tree this holiday (or one that has not been operated prior to 12/21), you will be required to register and label it before it can be flown. If you have a drone currently and have flown it prior to 12/21, then you will have until 2/9 to register your drone.
Here’s the nitty-gritty of the new FAA drone registration:
- All small-unmanned aircraft weighing between 0.55 lbs. and 50 lbs. on takeoff (includes everything onboard or attached to the aircraft when operated outdoors) must register
- Persons 13 years of age or older are required to register
- Cost: $5 to register an individual’s fleet of drones (if used exclusively as a hobby)
- Renewal: Every three years
- All small-unmanned aircraft must display the FAA-issued registration number with a drone label (see updated rules as of 2/25/19)
After receiving your FAA-issued registration number, the FAA is requiring a drone label with that number be affixed to the device. Rules for displaying your registration number:
- Painted on or permanently affixed on aircraft
- Have no ornamentation
- Contrast in color with the background
- Be legible
Registration will open December 21, 2015 through a web-based system (see link below). To register you will need to supply your full name, a physical address, and an email address. If you're looking for drone labels with your registration number, try our IDmyStuff personalized name labels, which meet the FAA requirements for drone labels.
[su_button url="https://www.mavericklabel.com/products/drone-labels.html" style="flat" background="#429edb" color="#ffffff" size="20" wide="yes" center="yes" radius="5" icon="icon: shopping-cart" icon_color="#ffffff" text_shadow="0px 2px 1px #2172a9"]Need Custom Drone Labels?[/su_button]